Discussion platform is intended as a space for lively communication and conversation about the most pressing issues of teaching. We hold regular meetings for teachers who talk about their experiences, share teaching techniques and life hacks, learn more about each other and about educational innovations.
The goal of our meetings is a continuous exchange of experience within a strong community of HSE teachers.
In 2017, the “Teach for HSE” project organized its first advanced training program, and even then it became obvious that we had something to talk about, but it was not always possible. Therefore, we decided to create a discussion club about Teaching and Learning.
More than 20 discussions on a variety of topics have already taken place. During the deliberations, many new ideas and even training courses for teachers have been born. Sensitive issues and comments of the participants give impetus to the discussion of new pressing topics.
The discussion platform has become an interdisciplinary field of interaction between teachers. We began to communicate more actively with each other and find out what is happening “behind the door” of a neighboring audience.
We value the private and friendly atmosphere of our meetings, therefore we do not record videos but after each discussion we create analytical reviews that can be found on our website. There we also post a variety of useful materials on the topics discussed.
Come to our discussions to:
- exchange experiences with colleagues, ask questions and speak out on the most pressing and emotional topics;
- establish strong professional contacts and friendly relations within the teaching community of HSE;
- understand how a particular teaching approach fits into your learning strategy;
- gain new experience in the field of professional communication;
- propose a topic for discussion.
Meeting place: Professors Club, Pokrovsky boulevard, 11.
We are always happy to welcome new members! If you want to propose a topic for discussion, write or call us:
Tel./Fax 8 (495) 772-95-90 *15548
Keep up with our announcements!
We invite you to the next discussion about English eхams online. Waiting for you at Zoom June 1, Monday, at 16.00
Registration by link: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIrf-qprzMtGNRYY9PouZr_CTrs6F5IjtIH
Our speakers and the questions they will discuss:
Ekaterina Kolesnikova, Head of the School of Foreign Languages, Moscow
- International English exams: paper, computer and online versions;
- Internal English exam in tasks and figures;
- Methodology for developing an online foreign language exam;
Marina Sheveleva, Head of the Department of Foreign Languages, Perm
- Adaptation of the format and content of the internal exam;
- Organizational characteristics of the online exam;
- Expectations of teachers and students;
Konstantin Khomutsky, Associate Professor, School of Foreign Languages, Head of Department, Moscow
- Student and teacher are both in the same online boat;
- What are the particular issues for students and teachers before, during, and after the exam;
- Organizational opportunities for the online exam for the teacher.
Waiting for you at Zoom!
We invite you to the next discussion of the “Teach4HSE” project, where we continue to discuss one of the most pressing topics – online assessment. Written exams are subject to review. Speakers of the discussion Ilya Schurov and Natalia Petrova are ready to share their experience and practical recommendations with colleagues.
Waiting for you at Zoom May 15, Friday, at 16.00
Registration by link: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwtduGhrzMiHN0LxisaLqr0zRROevv-ll9v
We invite you to the second discussion of the «Teach for HSE» project on online assessment.
Last time, we talked about evaluation of the current work of students in the virtual classroom using various online tools. Now we will discuss the resulting assessment. This topic is of particular relevance now - at the time of graduation works, final tests and exams. This year, all these take place in online format, which requires teachers to adjust their approaches and control all processes.
Registration by link: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcsfuCprDIvGdd5EQQJ1QC8Jvf2F_dHugXE
Elena Kobzar (Head of the Department of Graduate and Doctoral Studies)
Olga Savinskaya (Academic Director of the Graduate School of Sociological Sciences)
Julia Nesterova (Head of the Department of Coordination of Work of Dissertation Councils)
- will tell about the principles of choosing a particular online platform;
- discuss how the training went and what technological and organizational aspects needed to be taken into account;
- proctoring issues;
- the dynamics of the exam / oral interview itself (technical means, interaction techniques);
- appeal claims;
- disadvantages and advantages of the new format;
- planned and received results of the admission campaign;
- difficulties they encountered in the process and ways to overcome them.
Waiting for you at Zoom May 8, Friday, at 16.00
We are pleased to invite you to our next discussion which will be held as a zoom session on Thursday, April, 30 at 17:00.
One of the most important components of distance learning is the ability to choose the right tools and effective strategies for assessment of students’ work. We have invited to our meeting the colleagues who are ready to share their successful experience in organizing of assessment processes.
Anna Antonova (Faculty of Social Sciences / Department of Psychology) will share different formats of group work assessment online.
Andrei Dementyev (Director for Teaching Excellence) will talk about methods of assessment in synchronous mode using testing. He will also compare the possibilities of Webinar, Zoom and Socrative.
Olesya Kondrakhina (ICEF) will give a presentation on mutual assessment and feedback on the example of the peergrade.io.
The moderator of the discussion is Oksana Chernenko (Director for Innovations in Education).
Dear Colleagues! We invite you to a Zoom meeting.
Apr 22, 2020 05:00 PM Moscow
Register in advance for this meeting:https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIqde-vqzooH9V0LuvJet6bm0KWYKbuT0uS
After the rapid transition of the educational process to a distance format, HSE teachers have already managed not only to master new online learning tools, but also to develop the most effective strategies for their use.
At our next meeting, Olga Maksimenkova (Faculty of Computer Science / International Laboratory of Intelligent Systems and Structural Analysis) will talk about her experience of using MS Teams before and after switching to online, as well as platform resources for organizing collaborative training, assessment and feedback from students;
Andrey Dementyev (Director for Teacher Development) will compare the capabilities of Zoom and Webinar, and share his experience in conducting productive online seminars;
Dmitry Mikhailovsky (Institute of Education / Department of Educational Programs) will talk about effective integrating an existing online course into the current educational process and advantages which can be derived from this.
The moderator of the discussion – Oksana Chernenko (Director for Educational Innovations).
We are waiting for you at Zoom!
Address: 11, Pokrovsky Boulevard, building M, audience M 1.
An integral part of the educational process at Higher School of Economics is research field trips, summer schools, excursions and various forms of extracurricular activities for students. Such a «non-university» educational format is becoming more and more popular every year. For example, in the framework of the project «Rediscovering Russia», 67 expeditions were carried out in 2018, and 100 are planned to be carried out in 2020. To ensure the effective organization of educational and research activities of students outside the University, a special teaching approach is required, and this approach can be very different from the one that is traditionally used in the classroom.
Our guests: Oleg Voskoboinikov, Sergey Medvedev, Andrian Vlakhov, Ksenia Romanenko, Vera Vyshnyakova, Ivan Stenin.
- Why transfer the educational process outside the classroom?
- How does the role of the teacher and the educational strategy as a whole change when students leave the classroom?
- How to prepare for teaching and learning outside the university?
- What models of student organization most effectively «work» outside the classroom?
- How to evaluate the results of such training?
- How is the experience gained during extracurricular activities used after students return to the classroom?
Address: 11, Pokrovsky Boulevard, building M, audience M 1.
Every year, the number of foreign students of Higher School of Economics is growing. All of them represent distinctive national traditions and mentality. Becoming a part of Russian studentship, they form a multicultural environment where some members have different “backgrounds”, individual philosophies, and sometimes various native languages. This situation poses some new challenges for their teachers.
At the meeting, we discussed:
1. What are the “pros” and “cons” of education in a multicultural environment?
2. How to build the effective educational strategy in the context of multiculturalism and multilingualism?
3. How does a multicultural and multilingual environment help students to develop their creativity, communication and other skills?
4. How to evaluate learning outcomes in such an environment?
5. We will analyze specific examples, share our own experience and, of course, talk about the world practice of education in a multicultural and multilingual environment.
Denis Y. Zubalov – Associate Professor, Faculty of Humanities / School of General and Applied Philology / Academic Supervisor of the educational program: Language Policy in the Context of Ethnocultural Diversity;
Anatoly V. Kharkhurin – Associate Professor, Faculty of Social Sciences / School of Psychology.
Kharkhurin. Plurilingual Creativity
My 5 main teaching challenges
The discussion that was the first event of the Teach for HSE project. That now works on the development of teaching and learning at Higher School of Economics.
The full transcript of the discussion "My 5 main teaching challenges" held on 08/09/17 has been published by the journal Questions of Teaching (in Russian).
Key speakers were Vadim V. Radaev, Sergey A. Medvedev, Ekaterina V. Talalakina, Andrei V. Demetiev.
Additionally, we are publishing the video of the discussion.
Our discussions' transcripts are posted in Russian on the Russian version of this page.
- Teaching in a large classroom
- Teaching mathematics using active class style at a university level
- Through cultural contexts: teaching in a polyculture classroom
- Experience of work with Teaching Assistants: expectations & results
- Peer review
- Diverse Background
- English as a language of instruction
- Student Peer Assessment
- Creating a comfortable educational atmosphere for a multicultural class
- Group creativity
- Assessment system based on the course design
- How to teach new students’ generation
- Research seminar: puzzle construction
- Master level research seminar as a class for future scholars and practices
- Teaching Excellence Initiative: directions for use
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.